Sunday, November 06, 2005

The Metaphor Makes Itself


On one of my recent expeditions to Chez Target (it rhymes if you pronounce it right: try it and see. Now, wasn't that fun and satisfying?), I found something I'd always vaguely wanted but hadn't been sure existed: namely, a white dry-erase board with a calendar layout and colored markers. (This, of course, is why Target makes so much fucking money: they carry all the things which we have always vaguely wanted but have't bothered to buy until Hey! There they are! Right in front of us in Aisle Seven, and so what if we're really here to buy underpants! Now that we see the shower curtain liner we've been needing, and that cute light switch decorator for the baby's room, and that Isaac Mizrahi suede skirt for 14. 95, we realize how much we've needed them, so while we're here and all....!) Anyway, now I have my board, and have carried out my long-held dream of having a family datebook on the kitchen wall, with all the activities for various family members neatly logged in different colors. We have orange for The Tall Doctor, magenta for me, and teal for the boys. We used to have chartreuse for Urp and yellow for Rabbit, but they ran dry. The picture shows you why.

And as for the titular metaphor? Well, they were always admonishing us to Show Not Tell, so...yeah. You get the (no pun intended) picture.

2 Comments:

Blogger Masked Mom said...

Isn't it scary how Target gets inside our heads!? Someone should do some sort of expose on it before it gets out of hand.

PS--About the "Show, don't tell" thing: if that's such good advice, have you ever wondered why it's called "storytelling" and not "storyshowing?" ;) (Have I ever mentioned what a DORK I am?)

5:50 AM  
Blogger Mike Todd said...

Looks like Urp has been busy. I've had months like that!

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home